Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
It’s true. Many of the generic supplies you get from the dollar store are manufactured by the brand names you love the most. You’ll also find at the dollar store, little items that won’t make a big difference as far as presentation. If you’re short on cash and these are items that don’t need to be boasted, check these out:
- Disposable gloves
- Cleaning rags
- Air fresheners
- Bleach (especially just to clean the dishes or floors)
- Dryer sheets
- Dish soap (works great to refill your bathroom dispenser)
- Spray bottles
- Toilet brushes (I wouldn’t bother with the plunger)
Office Supplies and Crafts for Kids
Ok, so, some name brands are a must such as Elmer’s Glue, BIC, or Crayola. However, there are tons of items where generic works just as well.
- Display boards
- Binder clips
- Tab dividers
- Folders (for home use, stick to the name brand for kids)
- Mechanical pencils
- Generic pens (because you know they always come up missing)
- Greeting Cards
Baskets and Containers
If you are making gift baskets or need something to help organize the household, grab baskets and containers at the dollar store. To decorate them, throw on some washi tape!
- Large punch bowls
- Round woven baskets
- Stackable containers (to organize your drawers and supplies)
Health and Beauty
You do need to be careful regarding some health and beauty products. Although many believe that the cough syrups and various tests are ok, I still need my name brand. I’m not saying to not try them, but do so at your own risk. They do have many good name-brand items, such as Maybelline, and you can always find a coupon for those products!
- Hair scrunchies
- Hair clips
- Nail clippers
- Facial cleaning sponges
- Travel bottles
- Pill containers
- Toothpaste (yes Colgate, Crest, and Gleem can be found)
- Cotton balls / swabs
Hey, don’t frown on some of the grocery items. While I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of their Gatorade or name brand soda (and you can find soda cheaper), I can get down with a lot of small snacks. Make sure you price them out because it could be a better sale at your larger grocery store.
- Candy (Yes, chocolate! Candy corn, Mike and Ike, Skittles, Pop Rocks, and those coconut macaroons!)
- Frozen veggies (when you just don’t feel like hassling in line at the major grocery store)
- Hawaiian Punch juice boxes
- Oatmeal (because you’re going to throw everything in but the kitchen sink anyway)
41. Lounge Wear
Now if you’re like me, sometimes you barely leave the house! Why mess up your favorite sweats when you can have five pairs of sweats around the home that you really don’t care about? I lounge in T-shirts, however, for most of the day, and the dollar store has plenty of oversized ones for, you guessed it, a buck!
Socks are another staple you can grab from the dollar store. Kids are always dirtying those up no matter how much you mop your floors! And don’t forget to keep socks by your door in case visitors arrive and they don’t want to walk around barefooted.
So the next time you pass by a dollar store, stop on by to see what great finds they have for you. I find that not all of them offer the same items. Go shop around!